Monday, January 31, 2011

My baby is growing up!

Seriously, this isn't funny, I want time to stop so my baby stops becoming a big boy.  I know it's impossible and I love the person he is growing into, but I also love the stage of life he is in now...minus the selective listening and having to be asked twice to do things.  I really try to cherish every moment of time I have with Trent.  I know life is short and not to take one moment of it for granted.
In the New Year, Tim and I have been working on having Trent try new foods.  Trent is a very picky eater and for years has refused to try new things.  I won't go into detail about the time he tried a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the Corner Bakery...it's too hard to relive.  A few things Trent hasn't tried (with the exception of the PB&J sandwich) and states adamantly that he doesn't like: peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, bean and cheese burrito, any type of vegetable except carrots, any type of lunch meat sandwich, quesadilla, and the list goes on and on.  Crazy, I know.  So, just in the past few weeks Trent has attempted a few times to try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with crust and without crust.  He says he doesn't like the jelly, odd!  He will eat peanut butter alone and dip in it some pretzels, which is progress.  Last week, he tried grilled cheese and liked it. I think that's a keeper.
Taking a bite...and he likes it!

Our big shock came when we went to Panera and out of a turkey, ham and roast beef sandwich he picked the roast beef.  I was shocked that he picked the roast beef.  Even more shocking was that he finished the sandwich.  I asked him if I could make that for his lunch for school and he said no.  I guess he doesn't like it that much, but at least he will eat it when we go to Panera, that's good enough for me right now.  I am so proud of Trent for trying to new things.  Our motto to Trent is that he just has to try it and if he doesn't like it, then that's fine, but he can't say he doesn't like it without trying.  It's working for us so far this year.
Another sign that my baby is growing up is that I am finally conceding and letting him sit in the booster seat in the truck.  He has been using a booster seat when my parents or Tim's parents take him somewhere because a booster seat is just so much easier than a big old five point restraint car seat.  He is clearly old enough and weighs enough for a booster seat, but I am just resistant.  I have been resisting because 1) I like him in the middle seat, it feels safer; 2) the middle seat in the truck does not have a shoulder/lap belt, just a lap belt; and 3) I don't want my baby to grow up.  So, reasons 1 and 2 are legitimate, I guess 3 not so much.  On Friday, my Dad picked Trent up from school using the booster seat.  When I picked Trent up from my Dad's I then had the booster seat and the big old car seat in the truck. Trent wanted to sit in the booster seat and not his big old car seat.  I knew why though, the big old car seat is too small for him.  He can barely buckle himself in anymore and he is getting a bit too tall for it. So, I talked myself down from the ledge and told him that he could sit in the booster seat from now on in the truck.  We are donating the big old car seat to the preschool today.  It's the end of an era.  I guess though that we still have him in a big old car seat in Tim's car, but I am sure that one is on it's way out too.


All smiles in his booster seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment