Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hiking

Tim and Trent have been going on hikes for at least two years now.  Tim always extends an invitation to me and my usual response is, "Are we hiking up hill and if so the answer is no."  I am not a big fan up walking up hills or hiking when it's hot.  I know, we live in California and it's usually warm here, so more often than not they are going on hikes when it's a little too warm for my liking.  I have been on a few hikes (I think only 2 last year) when it's been overcast out or when we had friends visiting and I didn't really have the option of saying no.  In the new year though, I have already been on two hikes, which I am pretty proud of myself for.  Since I have been working out on my awesome elliptical I feel a bit more fit and want to continue feeling fit, so I am trying to get over my dislike of hiking up hills and in the warm weather.
The first hike of the year was in Eaton Canyon.  I have done this hike before, but I forget about the 10 creek crossings there are.  Tim, of course, didn't remind me of my dislike for this hike because he wanted me to go along.  So, we hiked down into the canyon and I quickly remembered what this hike was all about.  Our destination was a beautiful waterfall, but crossing the creeks with Freddy was not much fun.  We had some new hikers with us, my brother, his girlfriend and his kids.  Todd's older boys hiked up in the front with me and we had a good time.  Todd's youngest son, Jake who is almost 4 years old did a great job crossing the creeks.  He was a bit scared at first, but by the end of the hike was doing great, I think Uncle Tim helped him out a bit.  This hike isn't too strenuous, but maneuvering over the crossings is stressful. What the hike did have going for it was the weather was great.  A bit chilly which was perfect.


First creek crossing...


I just love the looks he gives me.

The gang making their way across the creek.

A great picture of a father helping his son.
We made it to the waterfall.
The 3 T's.

Out of the canyon and just about a mile to go.


We had to hurry because the sun was going down.
Our second hike of the year was up in the mountains behind Sierra Madre. The neighborhood is nestled right up against the mountains, it is gorgeous. We had beautiful views of the San Gabriel Valley and when we hiked down you could see downtown Los Angeles and then the reflection of the sun off the ocean, not too shabby. Again, Tim wasn't too forth coming with details about the terrain of the hike. He said he wasn't too strenuous.  Sure Tim!  We start off going up hill, in the shade, but up hill.  The path was narrow and it was up hill.  I am pretty sure Tim knows my dislike of walking up hill.  Freddy and I took the lead, but soon Freddy got pretty tired and we ended up in middle of our stretched out group.  My brother, his girlfriend, Jake and their crazy dog Keystone came on the hike again.  Since the hiking path was so narrow it was a bit stressful hiking with Jake because being almost 4 he isn't too aware of the need to walk very carefully up the path because the drop off is pretty far down. We all managed to get to the destination, which was a picturesque stream set down in the canyon.  The best part was it was so nice and cool down there.  I took us almost 2 hours to hike to the stream, but only 45 minutes to hike up out of it and back to the car.  The hike back wasn't all that great, hiking down hill can be just as strenuous as hiking up hill.  The only plus was it was cooler out.  I had Freddy who is a dog that has to led the pack and know where everyone is at all times.  He is constantly checking on Tim and Trent.  We were in the back of the group, so he was basically pulling me down the mountain.  Good times!  For all our hard work we treated ourselves to some yummy pizza and almond champagne. The pizza tasted so good and Tim said it's because we earned it.  I am not sure if I buy that because food always tastes good to me earned or not.


Check out Trent's hat with a spinner on top.  Perfect hat for hiking...NOT! During the hike the week prior Trent was complaining about his sun hat rubbing against his neck because of the backpack.  Well, this hike Tim said he could wear a ball cap and this is what he picked out.  Oh well it's not on my head.
Ready, set, let's go!


Great views.


We made it to the creek.

Freddy was so happy to see water, he ran to the water and sat down.
Taking a break.

Can you guess what Trent is doing with this stick?  You are right, it's a gun.
Making our way down the mountain.

The view of downtown Los Angeles.
Still smiling after the hike.  He's a pro at this hiking thing.

I have to say although I complain about the terrain of the hikes and sometimes the weather, I am glad I have been hiking with my family. I have gotten some great pictures and I am glad I am in on the adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment