Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oh No the DS is NOT turning on...

I think I had a few more choice words to go along with "Oh No the DS is NOT turning on," but you get the idea.  We were about to leave for Trent's soccer game and, of course, I had to do one more thing before we left.  As Tim likes to say I can't leave well enough alone.  Trent had been playing his DS for a good part of the morning and the screen was all gross, so of course I had to clean it up.  I was wiping off the screen when it slipped out of my hand and onto the kitchen floor.  I said a few choice words, then quickly picked it up and turned it on.  NOTHING!  I tried again and NOTHING!!  Not even a light went on, I just wanted something to turn on.  I then not so calmly, but calm enough as to not alarm Trent called for Tim to get to the kitchen ASAP.  He came in and I told him I dropped the DS and now it wasn't turning on.  He just looked at me and said ok get to the computer and find some troubleshooting website.  Of course, in the 2 minutes we had before we had to leave I was quickly finding a website to help me turn this DS on.  We also plugged the DS in to start charging, my hope was that some power would help turn it on.  Of course, NOTHING!  We were out of time and out of options at the moment.  Oh my goodness what was I going to tell Trent?
We headed off to the soccer game and I was so upset, but of course hiding it from Trent.  I didn't want to tip him off, he needed to have a good game and wouldn't if he knew what had happened to his DS.  The soccer game went great for Trent and heading home he was looking forward to playing his DS.  Oh no how am I going to tell him was all that was going through my mind.  We got home and I was able to hold him off playing DS for a bit while we looked into more troubleshooting and called the Nintendo helpline.  
Eventually, I had to tell him.  Oh the pain!!  I started crying and told him that I accidentally dropped his DS and that it wasn't turning on.  Oh boy, the tears were flowing now for both of us.  And there was a bit of whaling on Trent's part. I just felt so bad and I knew how upset he was and that it was my fault.  My heart hurt for him and I hated seeing him cry.  He eventually calmed down a bit, but he was so upset that there was a possibility that he would lose all the levels he had passed on his Star Wars game.  That was what was putting him over the edge.  He had worked so hard to get so far in the game and now all might be lost.  Oh my goodness I was losing it too.  We told him that we would have to send in his DS to get repaired, but that it would take a month or so.  Again, the crying and again I felt so bad and just keep hugging him.  Maybe hugging him would turn on the DS, no such luck!!  
I then looked at my precious and upset little boy and told him I would take him to Target to get a new one.  Tim looked at me and we had discussed doing this, but he was a bit unsure about the idea.  I wasn't, I wanted to make it all better and buying a new DS would.  I couldn't have Trent wait a month for his DS to come back from the repair shop.  He looked forward to playing his DS everyday and maybe he played it a bit too much, but hey it's a new toy for him and he was getting so good at the games.  
Since Trent was little, Tim and I have been really good about teaching him that if you break something it may mean that you are not going to get a new.  I have to say that Trent is so good with his toys, rarely does he break his toys, so this issue hardly comes up.  Accidents happen and maybe I shouldn't have ran out to Target to get him a new one, but I did and I am ok with it.  I am pretty sure Tim was ok with it too, right Tim?  
Trent was ecstatic to go with me to Target and get a new one, thankfully they had a red one, but he told me he would be ok with a blue one.  We also got a case for it that Trent wasn't thrilled about because it hinders his playing ability, but I told him if he doesn't get a case, he doesn't play it.  I am not replacing another one.
I think one of the things that I was most upset about was having to spend the money on a new one.  Tim (and me with my part time job) work hard for our money and it was painful to have to spend it on another DS.  I know Tim didn't mind, but it really got to me.  I was mad at my OCD self for having to clean the screen of the DS and it dropping out of my hand.  I know it was an accident, but an expense one.  I am so grateful to Tim for providing such a great life for Trent and I.  We are so fortunate to be able to go and get another DS when one breaks and that is all because of Tim and how hard he works to provide for us.
I learned my lesson and yes I will still clean the DS screen, but very carefully and only in the sunroom where there is carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment