Thursday, September 23, 2010

Playing Soccer

Trent started playing soccer a few weeks ago and is really enjoying it.  This is his second year playing and we are hoping for a better year than last.  Last year, he had three teenage girl coaches, which at first I thought were going to be ok, but the season turned out to be a disaster.  In the beginning, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and time to prove themselves.  I know how hard it is to be a young coach.  I coached high school swimming at 19 years old.  I know the looks the parents give when they see a young coach on the deck coaching their child. When you are a young coach you have to prove yourself worthy to coach kids. So, I knew what these three young girls were facing when coaching boys soccer. I gave them several chances to get it together and do a good job.  By the end of the season, I was done with them.  Their practices were a joke, which would include playing duck duck goose and tag.  They had a challenging and young team of boys to deal with, but they never took control and taught the boys much of anything except to run around the field like a chicken their head cut off.
My expectations are not too high for this soccer season; I am just hoping it's better than last season.  It is turning out to be pretty good.  Trent seems a lot more aggressive in getting and keeping the ball.  He did really well at his first game and we hope he continues to improve his soccer skills.
A few pictures before heading to Trent's first soccer game.

Awesome team banner. 
Some cool action shots of Trent. 
Go get'em Trent!

No comments:

Post a Comment